Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Europe Post #22: Chaos and Zoo

Well today was a little different.  First thing this morning, Melissa, John, and I went to Naschmarkt, a huge market and flea market.  Apparently, it's a REALLY big deal in Vienna.  Lots of restaurants go to the market to buy their spices and goods, etc.  On Saturdays, the flea market is up and running, also.  Honestly, I don't really get what the big deal is.  All of the crazy spices were very overwhelming.  I REALLY wish I could have bought a cute tea pot and a few mugs, but I'm already having enough trouble packing everything up.  I feel like adding some fragile items to my luggage is just asking for trouble.  And half of the flea market was just piles of junk.  Like a hobo stole random articles of clothing, dumped them on a table, and called it his "flea market booth."  All of the clothes looked worn.  Very sketchy.  Parts were cool though.  I bought a scarf (that does not look worn, I might add).  Overall, it was way too claustrophobic for my taste.  Glad we went, but happy to not return.

This afternoon we met up with Vivi and went to the zoo.  This isn't any old zoo.  Schonbrunn is the oldest zoo in the world AND it has panda bears.  Win.  Oh, and it didn't smell as bad as most zoos.  After John and I got bored with the animals, we walked to the Schonbrunn palace and went through the maze and to the playground.  Vienna takes their playgrounds very seriously.  Shortly thereafter, Melissa met up with us.  We just walked around enjoying the cool weather and got dinner.  A very chill day.  I'll miss days like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment