Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Two random thoughts

First of all, a big thanks to Alex for giving the blog a bit of a facelift.  All of the wedding planning has really rejuvenated Alex's creative mojo, so she channeled a bit to our little blog.

And now for my random thoughts.

1)  The "crosswalk safety tips" sign on Auburn's campus.


It's not that this sign inherently bothers me, it's WHY the placement of this sign is necessary.  I feel like that how to safely cross a road is one of those skills taught in kindergarten*.  Stop, listen, look both ways, hold hands with the person beside you, don't step out in front of a moving vehicle.  Since most people using this crosswalk are in COLLEGE, I am really concerned about the caliber of students that Auburn currently enrolls.  Also, if you don't know how to safely cross a street, you probably can't read this sign either.

2)  The Romney-Ryan logo.


I realize that I already tweeted about this, but seriously -- the R-R logo might as well have been stolen from Girl Scouts of America.  I wonder if R-squared is paying royalties.


Which brings me to part 2: was the exponent really necessary?  There are 3 R's (or 2, depending on how you look at it) already built in the logo - (3R)^2 is mathematically 9 R-squared.  Which is just confusing.  Also, it appears that the uniforms designed by Adidas for the Wisconsin v Nebraska (or Tungsten** v Nitrogen***) game also rocked the exponent/ periodic table of the elements look.


* I like pulling out all of my German vocabulary when I can.
** Yes, W is the periodic table symbol for Tungsten. 
*** Credit for this "joke" goes to ESPN.  Believe it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment