Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Hospital, Home runs, and Hiking

Weekend recap.  3-2-1 go.

Hospital.
Julianne had her 6-month checkup on Thursday.  (All clear - hooray!)  It's an all-day event, and I accompanied Mama and J to keep them company.  A quick funny story.  Julianne gets all of the cool hospital bracelets during her checkups... one of which is a big yellow bracelet with the notice "FALL RISK" in huge print.  I asked J why they still made her wear that one, and she said she didn't know what "fall risk" meant.  Hahaha.  Well, I guess technically it could mean either "at risk for falling" or "at risk for injury if a fall occurs" but either way it's pretty self-explanatory.  So after discussing this, J said she is pretty clumsy so maybe she should wear it around school, too.  Oh my.



Home runs.
Charles and I went to a Barons game on Friday night.  Unfortunately, they lost to the Montgomery Biscuits, but it was still a great time despite a hoard of 8-year-old girls that screamed in our ears all night.   We're itching to make it to a Braves game.  And I'm pretty sure there was only one home run but the plural version sounded better in the title.

pre-Barons game

Hiking.
I told Mama that Vestavia was making me claustrophobic, and she laughed at me.  But seriously, I need to see open spaces on the reg, and I've needed a hiking fix for a while now so off to Oak Mountain State Park we went.  Now as much as I love the outdoors, I don't get out very much.  I've slowed down considerably since my soccer days*, and this was quite obvious 2 miles into what felt like a hike with a 45-degree incline (obviously an exaggeration).  Thankfully, the terrain leveled out, and the remaining hike was really fun**.  We might have hiked further, but somehow we both failed to get our hands on maps with distances marked and over estimated the time it would take to get back to the car (it's faster going down than up - just FYI).  Charles used his nifty Map my Run app for the iPhone to log our every step (don't judge us!).






* this does not bode well for future Caroline since I'm only 4 years out of soccer... not the point though.
** I have lots of itchy bug bites constantly reminding me just how fun it was.


1 comment:

  1. After hiking up a volcano, I feel like I'm adequately prepared for the hike at Oak Mtn. so I'm coming with you next time!!

    ReplyDelete