Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Highlights of Christmas, Week 4 (Part 1 of 2)

So week 4 was kinda crazy.  The first part was pretty normal.  Just hanging out, watching movies, etc.  But then... boom... excitement.  Oh hey, Arizona.


Part 1 (the normal part).
Movies.  I said before Christmas break I wanted to watch some movies.  Oh did I watch some movies.  Assuming I didn't forget any, I watched 16.  Woah.  Here's my Christmas movie list, my own Reader's Digest version of reviews, and how many stars I gave it.  (note: I had to add a few .5 levels to make the scale a more accurate reflection of my opinion)

1.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas-  A classic (1966 version).  Hardly a movie at 26 minutes long, but it has the heart of a movie.  4 stars.  

2.  Inception-  Brilliant.  Yet confusing.  I think I've seen it 3 or 4 times now and I finally get it.  It takes a lot of energy to watch this movie.  4 stars.

3.  White Christmas-  Saw it for the first time.  NOT carried away.  Maybe I just wasn't in the zone or something, but it wasn't everything it'd been hyped to be.  1 star.

4.  Christmas Vacation-  I LOVE this movie.  I could watch it over and over and over again.  And, by gosh, I have.  5 stars.

5.  Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader-  There was a lot that I liked, a lot that was lacking (::cough:: bad acting).  3 stars.  (barely)

6.  Robin Hood-  So much potential.  Good action.  Unnecessarily confusing.  Good thing I already knew the basic characters and such.  2.5 stars.

7.  The Other Guys-  Funny but we didn't really click.  Thought it was kinda stupid.  Maybe I should give it another chance.  2 stars.  (Probably a little harsh.)

8.  Good Will Hunting-  The epitome of a good movie.  Too vulgar for my taste but it's intentional so I put up with it.  I watch this one over and over, too.  If you haven't seen it, see it.  5 stars.

9.  Date Night-  Great acting.  Actually brilliant acting.  Tina Fey and Steve Carell are such a dynamic duo.  The storyline was stupid.  Too stupid.  3.5 stars.

10.  Heavyweights-  The fact that there is a movie about fat camp makes me laugh.  Watch this one with friends.  2 stars.

11.  How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days-  A good movie, considering it's a chick-flick.  I'm just not crazy about Matthew McConaughey or that chick in the movie (see I can't even remember her name...).  3 stars.

12.  Dumb and Dumber-  If dumb is the goal, then A+.  You have to be in the mood, but it's very funny.    3.5 stars.

13.  How to Train Your Dragon-  Granted I didn't go in with super high expectations, THIS MOVIE ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF.  As in, I'm barefoot.  For real, go watch this movie right now.  5 stars.

14.  Back to the Future (#1)-  A classic.  Glad I finally watched it.  4 stars.  (barely)

15.  Elf-  Another classic.  Worth watching every Christmas.  4 stars.

16.  True Grit (2010)-  Granted I haven't seen John Wayne's version, this movie was amazing.  I was particularly impressed with the cinematography, score (primarily piano, a unique touch), and acting.  It was a simple yet deep movie.  5 stars.

playing angry birds
Other things to note:

17.  Angry Birds-  Alarmingly addicting.  Don't start it or you won't stop.  Charles and I played this on the iPad instead of watching a movie one night by accident.  We didn't mean to play for 2 hours, it just happened.

18.  Safe Haven (by Nicholas Sparks)-  I'm a big fan of Nicky.  He's a charming author.  Not very deep but he knows how to write a poignant book.  Props.


Part 2 coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment