Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

On Memorizing Scripture.

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to Your Word.
With my whole heart I seek You;
let me not wander from Your commandments!
I have stored up Your Word in my heart,
that I might not sin against You.
Psalm 11:9-11

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

If you don't already memorize Scripture, the verses above should reinforce the importance of this area in faith. I think that people often get too caught up in everyday life to take the time to reflect on and memorize the Word of God. I know that I am often guilty of this very problem and this issue has been on my heart for a while. We should not forget the memory verses we have learned, nor should we stop learning new passages. Can you imagine how happy God is when His children recite His words back to Him? 

I know that there are a lot of different methods to memorize Scripture…I have heard of people who write down the verses over and over, put memory verses on the mirror, have accountability partners to make sure each of them is memorizing…the list goes on and on. I am just going to share what works best for me, which is what I learned through my church in Auburn.

Obviously the first thing is to find a verse that I want to memorize. This is usually pretty easy. 
I write down the passage in my journal and on a notecard.

Then I write down the first letter of every word on the inside of my wrist. (This may sound weird, but it really helps when you forget the next word and need a hint. This is also is a great conversation starter and reminder to constantly be focused on Jesus throughout the day).
Remember the notecard? I then take that notecard and place it in the front of my box.

Here's how the box is organized:
The last four verses I've memorized go in the front. I review these four every day. After I know the verse completely and need to add another one to the front, I move the notecard that's been in the front the longest to one of the sections that are divided by days of the week.

The rotation goes on as I continue to memorize new verses and eventually I will add sections for days of the month and move the notecards from the days of the week to these sections where I will review them once a month.
Make sense?
Mmkay good.
I probably explained that way more complicated than it actually is. Like I said, I learned this last year and it has worked great for me and I encourage people to try it. You won't regret having God's Word treasured in your heart!

1 comment:

  1. Memorizing scripture is a huge goal for me this new year! Thanks for the great tips! :-) Found you through the Young museum! :-)

    ReplyDelete